Friday, July 21, 2006

A few initial observations about south France

We were there for a couple weeks to get settled into work and look for a house. Here's few things I noticed

1.The Streets are very narrow.















It would be physically impossible to drive an SUV on these streets. Even with the tiny cars that they drive you have to sometimes allow another driver to exit a street before you enter. Tiny cars are good because gas prices are astronomical.

2. There are beautiful trees (sycamores, I think) that line the streets.














I'm told. . And I can't verify if its true. Napoleon had them planted so his troops had shade.
Now there's a leader. Maybe they had no shade trees in Belgium (Waterloo.) Maybe the poor guy lost his final battle because the sun was in his eyes.

3. They had neat little old cars.















This is a Citroen, I have no idea what year. I saw a number of them while I was over there.
I thought they were the neatest looking vehicle. I kept telling my wife I was going to buy one and have it shipped home. She laughed the first time I said it and then less so as I continued to repeat it. Now I think she's scared that I'm not kidding. I am.